Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Blog-itis and Family History!

okay.  breathe.  I can do this. 

I don't know if it has been scientifically coined yet, but I tell you there is a disease that I will refer to as "blogging anxiety."  It's very real and very serious.  And yes, my friends, I am a victim. 

I'd like to thank my beloved sister, Kimberly, for helping me take the first step toward blogging freedom.  She challenged me to the 30x30 challenge, which requires that you pick 30 items of clothing and mix and match them for 30 days, never repeating a single outfit.

It hit my weak spot.  I love mixing and matching.  And I love downsizing.  30 items isn't that many.  I guess that's what it took for me to be writing this..and the fact that it came from her means a lot. Kim is pretty much my best friend in the world. 

So ... I haven't yet picked out my 30 items, that will be my next post, promise.  (This is one of the reasons I hate blogging...here I am talking to somebody who probably doesn't exist...as if I have a following--HA! :)

However, I did have something on my mind to discuss. 
Family History. 
Yes.
Wonderful,
Amazing,
Addicting,
FAMILY HISTORY!!!!!

I went to the family history library on campus yesterday and the missionary couple stopped what they were doing to help me out.  I can understand why its

so hard for people to get started..it's so hard to know WHERE to start!!!!  I've been "getting started" for almost 7 months now, and I still have a bagillion questions and need lots of help.  But I am getting it, slowly but surely.

They always tell you that the best place to start is with yourself.  Scan your birth certificate, baptismal certificate, wedding certificate, all that stuff.  Write your life history.  So that's what I am going to do, start with myself.  You can then work your way through like a sly detective uncovering mysteries of the past and getting really good at recognizing subtle clues...it's wonderful. 

The couple at the library told me I was lucky to be starting so young because my grandparents are still alive.  There are so many things they wish they would have asked their grandparents about their lives!  And their parents as well.

I was pondering on this, when suddenly, on facebook of all places ;), I ran into my dad's old missionary companion.  He gladly sent me some pictures of my dad when he was on his mission in Ecuador!! 
Exhibit A:
This is my dad in the MTC.  He's the one in the front wearing the vest. 
Stylish.  Way to go dad!


Exhibit B:

Cool dad with Crazy-Eyes


So yeah.  That's family history in action right there ^^^^
Seriously, when you start finding things about your family you didn't know before you feel joy!!  It's The Spirit, but even those who wouldn't call it that can't deny the good feeling they get doing family history!  go to familysearch.org to get started for free!

What are your experiences doing family history?  You can share your fears, successes, questions, or anything!!

1 comment:

  1. See, you ARE funny. I've told you about my family history project right? I want to get AT LEAST one story about each of my parents, grandparent and great-grandparents. And do the same for Adam's. And make a book for our kids! I really need to get on that. Bug me about it, will ya? That way I don't give up. :)

    ReplyDelete